Thursday, 6 December 2012

Let the little children come to me

Matthew 19:14 (NIV)
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

When Jesus says "come to me", He gives us full access - which means 24/7 - 24 hours a day for 7 days a week.

When I found out that I was pregnant I told myself that I would be like this to my kid. A 24/7 mom, which means being available to my child 24 hours a day for 7 days a week. And it worked well for the first few weeks, trust me. I would be out of my bed at his first cry even at odd hours during the night. After a few weeks, the 24/7 mom was exhausted.

As Lukas grew so did his demands. Many times I feel like I can't keep up with his growth. Lukas is now 3 months old. I still struggle with his night feedings. His craving for regular attention. His need to be hugged and touched when I have my own agendas. He wakes up at 1 AM and doesn't fall asleep till 4 AM - this is his "play time"; he wants mommy or daddy to play with him, attend to him. I felt like my time is not mine anymore. I can't do the things that I like to do. Everything now includes Lukas. He is part of everything. He is not a pet that you can lock up when you go off to work. He is an entity that goes shopping, evening walks, dinners and even to parties. He has his own likes and dislikes too. I confess that there are times when I avoid eye contact with him so that I do not have to carry him. There are times when he wakes up from sleep and I go "uh-oh", I am not sure how Lukas feels when he hears that.

 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me": It means that he is saying I will not neglect you. I will not avoid eye contacts with you. I will carry you any time you want. I will hug you and love you all the days of your life and beyond. I will meet your needs. I will feed you. I will change you. I will clean you. I will bathe you and I will not get tired of it.

 "and do not hinder them": Christ says there will be no hindrance between us. You are my top priority. Your urgency is my urgency. I am your God who do not sleep nor slumber (Psalm 121:4). I do not leave nor forsake (Deut 31:6). I am your ever present help (Psalm 46:1). I will not be stressed. I am always readily available.


"for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.": If Christ wants us to enter the kingdom of heaven like these little children then we better learn to crave for his attention. We better learn to make eye contacts with him. We better learn to demand hugs and personal touch from him. We better learn to have "play time" at 1AM and learn not to let go of him until you have had enough - for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these.



4 comments:

  1. I thank God for He never leaves me nor forsakes me even most of the time He does not talk much. I am a very demanding child. I talk to Him when I am awake, when I am asleep or even when I am half asleep. Thank God He still loves me even I am a very clingy child to HIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! me too!... I am also a very clingy child to HIM... but HE never gets tired of my neediness, clingy-ness, insecurity, constant need for assurance etc. etc.

      Delete
    2. Van Van I really admire you being clingy. It takes me a while to get there. Most of the time I tend to do things on my own - take matters in my own hands. Only to realize that he is always in-charge.

      Delete
    3. Wei Wenn, I am learning to be clingy too..... especially after Lukas came about. You know how they say parenting requires both father and mother - I would say the third and most important dimension to parenting is having God on your side. One can never bring up a child with out HIM.

      Delete